Monday, June 29, 2009

Madoff

In no way do I condone what Madoff did. I have no sympathy for his wife and think she should be stripped of ALL the money. I don't think she should be allowed to keep even 2.5 million. She should be broke and have to get a job and work for a living as, say...a waitress, a housekeeper...

But (you knew it was coming didn't you),

I have very little sympathy for his victims. The little bit of sympathy I have is all for the recipients from the charitable organizations that he ripped off. Those people are the real victims. Everyone else was complicit in the crime. There's a saying "if it's too good to be true then it isn't true". Madoffs clients were greedy and let their greed overtake their reason. They asked for what they got. They should have known. They should have asked more questions. They didn't because all they cared about was the money.

Madoffs victims cheered when he was sentenced to 150 years. Personally I think that was a ridiculous sentence. Anything over 50 years is a joke. The man is 71 years old. He isn't going to last 50 years in jail. It's doubtful that he'll last ten years. The sentence is petty and vindictive. The sentence highlighted a serious flaw in US culture. The reverence of money. Money is not the most importnat thing in life but Americans seem to think that it is. Sad.

Personally I think Madoff should not go to jail. I think that he and his wife should be stripped of every penny they have and forced to fend for themselves. I want to seem them how homeless people live. I want them to see how desperate homeless shelters are for money. Money that they took from them. In my opinion that would be a much better punishment and life lesson for Mr. and Mrs. Madoff.

8 comments:

  1. This is the comment I made on another blog about the scumbag....

    They should let that scumbag continue to do his schtick (except legally this time) while in prison and whatever money is made goes to his victims. That would be the ultimate penalty. Making money for others and not one dime goes to him. Bwahhaaaaaaa……

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your sentiment, but only for the ultra wealthy set who knew something wasn't right, but did it anyway. But, there were many who had no idea and those are who I sympathize with as well as the charitable organizations.

    And, his wife has the gall to say that she was as betrayed as everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you guarantee that he makes any money? He's been losing money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I thought of that, but he knows the business and could make money the legal way, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might not be the billions he's used to but anything is better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more! I've had this same conversation a few times. At first I thought I was a little insensitive for thinking that these people were stupid! But when I listened to that one couple that said they lost $2.5 million, I couldn't believe they were so greedy. If they had that kind of money, they should have put it into high yield savings accounts. Why gamble your retirement like that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It could be worse than nothing. He could invest badly out of spite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lette.

    Those whining investors are driving me crazy. They deserved what they got.

    I don't think they stupid as a rule but they were blinded by greed. They deserved what they got.

    ReplyDelete

Miri 1994-2009

Miri 1994-2009
I Miss You