Monday, June 22, 2009

I Wasn't Born Yesterday.

I went to inspect a test hole today. There was about a foot of water in the hole and the contractor started telling me that it was rain water from all the rain that weekend. I told him that it looked like ground water to me. He tried to argue and I suggested that he dig another hole while I wait. The ground was so cobbley that he could barely scrape a few inches with the back hoe each time and the machine was really being stressed. After a few minutes I knew I was right. I could smell the water but it wasn't surfacing yet so I told him to keep digging. At 6.5 feet I stopped him and walked around to the pile and showed him the wet muddy rocks. There was no water in the hole yet but he conceded that there was ground water there which made it about the 7 feet I saw in the first hole.

I may be a woman but I wasn't born yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. You sound like you certainly know your job!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)

    I still remember my first few weeks on the job. When the contractors saw me they were all really happy and grinning and I could see what they were thinking "she's going to be a pushover". I already have a reputation of being a serious hard ass. My district manager loves it and keeps saying to me "just keep on doing what you're doing" but the contractors hate me.

    ReplyDelete

Miri 1994-2009

Miri 1994-2009
I Miss You