Thursday, June 4, 2009

Email to The President

Dear President Obama,

I listened to your Cairo speech and as an American Israeli born in the US and raised in Israel I have some things to say. I appreciate your desire to unite the world and bring peace. I voted for you in the hopes that you would bring a much needed new order and am overall pleased with most of what you have done so far. I don't disagree with your desire to close the gap between Christians and Muslims. I have some Muslim friends who are wonderful caring people. I have met many Muslims whom I have liked and admired including Palestinians.

I also have some concerns. You grew up in Indonesia surrounded by tolerant Muslims. I have a friend who grew up in Malaysia surrounded by tolerant Muslims. I am well aware that there are many tolerant Muslims around the world. Unfortunately there are also many intolerant Muslims around the world and they really are a threat. I was living in Israel in the 1990's. I was there when the Oslo agreement was signed and I was there when Rabin was assassinated. I was also there during one of the worst bloodbaths in the history of Israel went on. Every time Rabin made a concession the level of terror rose. The suicide attacks started after the Oslo agreement. How can you make peace with people who try to kill you every time you make a concession?

The settlements are not the problem. I know the people in the settlements and some of them are fanatics but none of them are murderers. They believe that what they are doing is protecting Israel. How can you tell these people that stopping the settlements will bring peace after what happened in Gaza?

Israel wants peace. But Israel will not sacrifice her ability to defend herself. If you truly want peace you need to find a way to ensure Israels safety. When the surrounding Arab countries turn their back on terror and bloodshed and recognize the right of Israel to exist there will be peace. Israel will make any necessary concessions for real peace. But after all the broken promises that only led to more bloodshed Israel needs real reassurances that it is a real lasting peace.

I don't know if you will read this but I felt a need to try and reach out and say something. I love both my countries and want to see both of them succeed. This will never happen as long as there are terrorists like Hamas and Al Quaida. These people are funded by oil money. We need to invest more in clean renewable energy so we can stop the funding of these groups. When this happens there will be peace. Thank you for your time.

7 comments:

  1. Did you actually send this letter to the White House? I have to hold on to the hope that things change with time. The peace process, although riddled with setbacks, continues to inch forward with attacks happening less often. I totally agree with Obama about having to make concessions on both sides or peace will never have a chance. A two state solution seems to be the only possibility left to try to appease them. It will become very obvious, very quickly, if they are unhappy with that solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up until now it's always been Israel giving concessions and the terrorists massacring in return.

    Yes I sent this to the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone who thinks otherwise should first provide me with the number of years they spent there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't agree at all with Obama on the Israel Issue...I really don't...I wrote this on my post on Obama's new beginning theory...

    I watched part of the speech Obama gave this morning, but I had to read the entire transcript before I posted
    this...Alot of what Obama said, sounds nice, too nice...Obama made some very good points, but in my opinion some of his points weren't good to me... I do support almost everything he said, Just not what he says about Israel...And I quote what he said...

    "The United States does not accept the legitimacy of
    continued Israeli settlements. This construction violates previous agreements and undermines efforts to achieve peace," he said. "It is time for these settlements to stop."

    One can only imagine what Obama will do if Israel continues with these settlements...
    I used to support Obama during the elections, but
    If I knew then what I know now, and how he feels
    about Israel, I most likely would have kept my mouth
    zipped...

    These are just my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way Geonite:
    Very well nice written letter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Letter....did anyone respond....

    I have to say I cried for several days when Rabin was assassinated....

    ReplyDelete
  7. So did we blabby. In spite of all the warnings it was such a shock. We never thought a Jew could murder another Jew like that.

    ReplyDelete

Miri 1994-2009

Miri 1994-2009
I Miss You