Saturday, May 23, 2009

Does it Matter?

I was seven years old when my family moved to Israel. I basically grew up surrounded by other Jews. Yes there was a sea murderous Arabs surrounding us and wanting to kill us but like most Israelis I did my best to push that to the back of my mind and not think about it. Thinking about it would drive you crazy. Sometimes I think that Israelis are masters of denial. It's an essential survival mechanism. 

When I came back to the US I found myself faced with a dilemma. For the first time in my life I was asking myself whether being Jewish mattered to me. I had long since stopped believing in "God" so what difference did it make? Why was I even asking myself the question?

I was asking myself the question because it did matter. Until then I always felt that people were people and it didn't matter. Being surrounded by non Jews for the first time I realized that there was a difference. It isn't something I can point to and say "that's it! That's the difference!" All I know is that it is there. And once again I think it's biological. 

My ancestors went through every type of persecution and died in droves to keep our identity alive. 

It definitely does matter.

I don't believe in "God" but I am Jewish through and through.




8 comments:

  1. How long were you in Israel? Oh and I know you don't believe in God, but did you ever believe in him as a child?
    have a good night Geonite...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really life-changing experience. I'm sure it strongly shaped how you view the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does matter because it's part of who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly beans, that was going to be the theme of my next post.

    OK I'll write it anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little bit highplains. While being Jewish is very important to me I'm still part of the human race and other people are important too.

    I just feel more at home with other Jews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thirty years ANAV. And yes. It was a six year journey figuring out what my beliefs were and I still test them from time to time and agnosticism always wins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geonite: 30 Years? wow you definitely have many stories I'm sure...
    Is it somewhere that you want to go back and visit?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to go back for a visit when I can afford it.

    ReplyDelete

Miri 1994-2009

Miri 1994-2009
I Miss You